Esquimalt Townhall and Library

 

The Township of Esquimalt, BC is a colourful progressive community located at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, only 1.2 miles west of downtown Victoria. Esquimalt is the home of Canada’s naval presence on the West Coast and was first used by the Royal Navy as early as 1837. The original Esquimalt town site has long since disappeared inside the boundaries of the Canadian Forces Base which is now the community’s largest employer.  The project was developed as a design/build package between the Township and Wales McLelland Ltd. The library and Town Hall are located in the heart of Esquimalt and form a centre point to the redevelopment and rejuvenation of the downtown core of Esquimalt. Many of the features of this building were drawn from the historical pictures of the original library building including original granite ballast used by ships arriving from England in the 1800’s was incorporated into the design of the new Town Hall.

The new Town Hall was developed as a Joint Venture with the Greater Victoria Public Library in order to provide a new 8,000 sq. ft. Esquimalt Branch in shared space with the Town Hall.

VDA was Prime Consultant for this project.

The Township of Esquimalt, BC is a colourful progressive community located at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, only 1.2 miles west of downtown Victoria. Esquimalt is the home of Canada’s naval presence on the West Coast and was first used by the Royal Navy as early as 1837.